The Toll House & the Women's Institute Building
This octagonal building on the left is one of three tollhouses still intact along the A5 between Llanfairpwll and Holyhead. On the outside of the building is the original table of tolls, which were last charged in 1895, by which time this was the last surviving public toll road in Britain. You would have paid a toll of 1d (one old penny) for a horse not drawing a carriage, wagon or cart, and the old toll charges can still be seen written on the side of the building:
Tolls to be taken at LLANFAIR GATE
For every Horse, Mule or other Cattle, drawing any Coach
or other Carriages, with springs, the sum of 4d.
Attached to the old toll house (just about visible in the photo above) is a corrugated iron building which was erected in 1921 and used for meetings of the Women's Institute. The first ever meeting of the Women's Institute took place in Llanfairpwll in 1915, in a house about 100 yards from this building, and the movement then spread through the rest of the British Isles. The movement which started in Canada remains popular on Anglesey today and this local branch of the Institute is still going strong!